Skip to Content

Off-Campus Apartment Fire

Resources Available for Students Impacted by the Off-Campus Apartment Complex Fires

July 20, 2018

Early Friday morning, July 20, a fire broke out off-campus at Iconic Village Apartments and Vintage Pads Apartments in San Marcos. According to the City of San Marcos, at least six people were injured and several of them are confirmed to be Texas State students. On behalf of Texas State University, we extend our sympathy to those affected by this event and offer the following support services to our students and university community during this difficult time.

Student Emergency Services

Students may contact Student Emergency Services in the Dean of Students Office for assistance. Student Emergency Services collaborates with individuals and offices within the university and the San Marcos community to assist a student who is experiencing the consequences of an emergency. They can help students replace ID cards, send absence notifications to university instructors, and provide information and referrals to resources and services both on- and off-campus. The Dean of Students Office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p. m, located in LBJ Student Center, Suite 5-9.1. Call (512) 245-2124. If a student needs assistance after-hours, they can contact the non-emergency number for University Police (512) 245-2805 and they will be forwarded to a staff member from Student Emergency Services. Additional information about Student Emergency Services is available on the Student Emergency Services webpage.

Emergency Funds

Students in need of emergency funds should contact the Dean of Students Office to apply for assistance through the Student Emergency Fund. The funds can be used to assist students with purchasing clothing, textbooks, housing, food and necessities, taking into account the students’ individual needs. To apply, call (512) 245-2124. Eligibility information for that fund is available on the Emergency Funding Assistance webpage.

Housing Referrals

Staff from the Off-Campus Living (OCL) office are available to assist students in identifying apartments that have vacancies for short-term and long-term stays. The students can then work directly with the apartment complexes to make arrangements. The OCL office is located in the Housing and Residential Life building at 515 Comanche Street and open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If a student needs assistance after-hours, they can contact the non-emergency number for University Police (512-245-2805) and they will be forwarded to a staff member from OCL. Additional information is available on the Residential Life Off-Campus Living webpage.


Students seeking counseling services are encouraged to contact the Texas State Counseling Center. To speak with a counselor, call (512) 245-2208 or visit the Counseling Center in the LBJ Student Center 5-4.1 to request an urgent appointment. Visit the Counseling Center website for more information.


To donate to the Student Emergency Fund, visit the Texas State University Crowdfunding website.

Local Resources

Students are encouraged to monitor updates from the City of San Marcos for more information about resources available. The city established an information phone line at this number to answer questions about services available: 512-754-2291